Friday, June 10, 2022

Seeking solace in green peppers

Nature's perfection
London, ON
May 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram


You can see the tension the moment you step into the grocery store.

Soaring prices, shrinking package sizes, worried shoppers who linger in the aisles, hovering over prices more than they used to. They’re more than likely running the math in their heads or in an app as they try to make the best possible food choices for their families.

I remember periods of double-digit inflation when I was a kid, and how they turned what used to be a carefree shopping trip into something more serious. Darker, even.

So I find myself looking for scenes in the margins, moments where I can put the blinders on and admire the aesthetic of something to the exclusion of everything else.

Maybe it’s my lame attempt to stay centred at a particularly fraught moment in history, as faraway stressors touch us right where we live. Maybe I’m fooling myself.

But as I admire these impossibly perfect green peppers, I wonder what other choice we have.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #green #sobeys #grocery #store #fruit #vegetables #pepper #peppers #fruitography #shopping #retail #random #stilllife #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

Related:
Vegetarian color, April 2022

No comments: