Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Swimmer in the sky

Staring up from the sidewalk
London, ON
June 2022
This photo originally shared on Instagram


It’s 9:18 p.m., long after the sun has slipped below the horizon.

But out of sight doesn’t mean irrelevant, as our closest star still manages to light up the twilight sky with shades and tones I couldn’t describe if I tried.

The dog patiently waits for me as I find the perfect spot on a nearby sidewalk and take the camera out of my backpack. I had a hunch tonight’s sky would be an entertaining one, so I grabbed the bag on our way out the door.

Calli the Wonderschnauzer waits patiently on her leash as I size up the sky and read the ever changing color palette way over our heads.

It’s an exercise in futility, as no camera can ever hope to capture the full fidelity of a magical sky. At best, it’ll capture enough of an echo to share with the folks back home. I’m strangely okay with that.

As the sky eventually fades and I give our pup a thank-you ear rub for being such a good girl, I remind myself that moments like this aren’t as frequent as we’d like. And lugging a backpack around the neighborhood is a small price to pay if it means I get to enjoy tiny vignettes like this with my dog.

The cynics among us might think I’m being unnecessarily silly. But who says the cynics get to have any say in how I choose to chase fleeting moments?

As Calli nudges the back of my leg with her wet nose and we continue on our way, I get my answer.

No one.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #sun #sunset #sky #weather #wx #silhouette #walkabout #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #cloud #clouds #photography #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

Related:
Under an angry sky, August 2021
Painted cloudy sky, August 2021

No comments: