Monday, January 09, 2012

Thematic Photographic 178 - After Dark


Another one rides the bus
Delray Beach, FL, January 2012

Welcome to our new Thematic theme, After Dark. Despite the fact that photography is all about light, and nighttime doesn't always offer up enough of it to make the craft worthwhile, there's plenty of opportunity to get the shot if you're willing to give it a little extra thought.

For example, this old Volkswagen Bus. We were waiting for our table at a popular local restaurant. This being Florida, we were sitting outside and enjoying weather that was infinitely better than the 43 cm of snow being dumped on our hometown some 2,400 km away. I spied this delightfully well preserved Volks across the street and despite the fact that I had no tripod, figured it was at least worth a try.

I crossed the busy road, dumped my camera bag on the sidewalk and got to work. I used the bag as a makeshift tripod , reasoning with myself that the necessarily low angle would seem more dramatic. I used the remote control to set off the 4-second exposure - I didn't want to go too much longer as I wasn't sure how stable the fabric bag would be as traffic whizzed past. I also wanted to get back before my ever-suffering wife realized I was gone.

In the end, I got the shot, my wife liked it, and we had a lovely time at the restaurant. And I realized just how much fun an after-dark shoot could be. As we explore the theme over the next week, I hope you realize how much fun it can be, too.

Your turn: Take a photo after dark (nighttime works, as does any other way you define "after dark"...have fun with it) and post it to your blog. Leave a comment here letting folks know where to find it. Visit other participants and come back through the week to add to the fun. Thematic Photographic is all about stretching our photographic horizons a little. For more background on how it works, click here.

21 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I love that old VW van... A friend of mine had a cream colored one... love the theme this week!
http://afreshstartwithkalei.blogspot.com/2012/01/tp178-after-dark.html

Wendy said...

Lucky you in Florida! I'm surprised there is so much snow in southern ontario (presuming that's where the 42 cm. was). We hardly have any here in Montreal. Most unusual for us.

I'm planning to take the family to Ft.Myers beach in Feb. Checking flights from Montreal and I can't believe how expensive it is this time of year!! Should have gone earlier like you did.

Love the photo and how you "take us with you" as you set up your shot. I can almost feel the warm Florida breeze as cars whiz by and your camera clicks into action.
Hope your dinner was good.

Thanks for the tip on my blog, re shooting into the sun. Maybe one day I will figure out how to do that.

fredamans said...

Very groovy van!

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2012/01/thematic-photographic-after-dark.html

Max Sartin said...

Love the old VW Bus. When I was 10, my family of 6 cruised Europe for a year in a 1970 VW Bus. Love the new theme too, I like the challenge of taking pictures in low light.

Cloudia said...

thanks for the lesson!
nice shot too

Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

Unknown said...

Great pic........ my after dark post

http://mypinkcloud-ranu.blogspot.com/2012/01/this-is-everyday-or-every-night-view.html

Tina´s PicStory said...

after dark comes the light :)
http://tinaspicstory.blogspot.com/2012/01/mein-stuck-himmel.html

Little Nell said...

My imagination took flight!

Bob Scotney said...

From Norway to my back garden.
http://bit.ly/ygHDCW

21 Wits said...

I will always like those VW vans....they had their own special sound too....I especially like how you positioned the van in your photo....it's like I'm ready to roll out....move out of my way! I posted After dark with my old camera next time it will be my new and improved camera for after dark!

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2012/01/thematic-photographic-178-after-dark.html

Gilly said...

I don't go out much after dark, but here are a couple from the beginning and end of the day

21 Wits said...

Bob, thanks for letting me know my link wasn't working! Here it is again!

http://twincitiesblather.blogspot.com/2012/01/thematic-photographic-178-after-dark.html

Catherine said...

I'm still working through favourites from 2011 - one month at a time - but I did take an after dark photograph the other day.
(To see my favourites from last year, click on my name and scroll through the posts - I'm currently up to July).

Max Sartin said...

A lot of really great After Dark pictures so far! I finally got s minutes to search out a few of mine. Here they are.

Alexia said...

Here's my after dark contribution - I'm really enjoying all of the posts so far :)

Unknown said...

Another great Thematic! I have some of my experimenting after dark for you too!

A Paperback Writer Photos said...

I finally found something I could use for this one:
http://apaperbackwriterphotos.blogspot.com/2012/01/photo-non-contest-178-after-dark.html

Lisa Shafer said...

Hi Carmi!
I'm entering really late, but I've added a little twist to my submission. I hope some of your readers will come over and play a little game on my blog with an after-dark photo.

http://lisashafer.blogspot.com/2012/01/photo-mysteries-writers-game-6-with-new.html

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Carmi, Little Nell suggested that I come over and join in this week. We were in San Antonio last weekend, and I took some pics of the Alamo at night. Here is the link: http://oregongiftsofcomfortandjoy.blogspot.com/2012/01/alamo-at-night.html

Also, I love old VW buses ... we used to have a 1968, but it wasn't restored; just old.

Have a great weekend,

Kathy M.

Max Sartin said...

More After Dark shots found here.
Great shots everyone, I've had fun looking at them all.

Catherine said...

I have another after dark shot at the beginning of this post - and a bunch of bird photos as well, which you might like, Carmi (perched birds, though, not birds in flight).