Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Getting back on the road

Ready to roll
London, ON
May 2009
Thematic. Curvaceous. Here.
Once upon a time, I typically logged more miles (okay, kilometers) on two wheels than on four. I cycled everywhere. To work, to meetings, to kids' functions, to nowhere in particular...you name it and if I could find a way to leave the car at home, I did. I relished the prospect of pushing the bounds of bike culture, of building my day-to-day life around it, of powering myself to distant destinations with little more than muscle-driven power and stubborn will.

The adventure was a fun one. I went to new and incredible places. I got into crazy-good shape. I was even punched out by a nasty motorist. Good times, all.

These days my commute is a little too long for cycling, and the other competing priorities of life leave me little-to-no free time to get out and pedal.

Which is a poor excuse, I know. If I really wanted to ride, I'd find a way to make it happen. Every time I see someone cruise on past, or look at my own parked machine, it dawns on me that I'm not balancing this life thing as best I could. I need to start making better decisions about how I allocate my time, how I get around, and how I prioritize my activities.

Time to make a change. I'm guessing stark words on a screen, along with a stark photo, should be enough to get me to make that first move.

Your turn: This weekend, we ride. Who's with me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way, when it comes to cycling. My husband and I both bike-commute to and from work every day... this past weekend, we pulled the panniers and jumped in on a metric century race, just for the fun of it.

I can tell you're missing your quiet time on two wheels... chase it down, make it happen. It's worth it.

Jess Brady said...

I'm terrified of riding bicycles, but I love your photo :)