Saturday, July 08, 2017

Could have been. Would have been.

This furry being was born 11 years ago today. We sadly lost him last December, but that's the wonder of being dog people: In a whole lot of ways they never really leave you.

We brought Calli into our home just over a week ago, and hardly a moment goes by as I watch her that I don't see some echo of Frasier. From the way she sticks her hind legs straight back when she lies down, to her bouncy, not-quite-straight walk, and a spirit that I can only describe as a mixture of scrappiness and sweetness, she's every bit the schnauzer that he was, and just as deeply embedded into the fabric of our family.

We miss you, buddy, and will never stop seeing snippets of you in every corner of our home and lives.

2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I think Fraser's spirit is in Cali... There's a reason why she is in your home.. Ur family just didn't choose her, she chose yours.

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

Almost eight years since we lost our first dog, a German Shepherd/collie mix.

I still feel like crying when I see a shepherd go by.