Thursday, December 20, 2018

The fire just outside my front porch

A nice start to the day
London, ON
December 2018
This photo originally shared on Instagram
No one ever has enough time in the morning. From the moment you wake up, shower, get dressed, walk the pup - not always in that order - grab breakfast and shoot yourself out the door, the clock is ticking, and you stop moving at your peril.

Yesterday morning was different, as the sky was putting on a bit of a show as I stepped onto the front porch and pulled the door closed behind me. It stopped me dead in my tracks, and I alternated between looking at my watch and the sky, calculating in my head how much time I had left, and how long it might take to run back inside, get my camera and grab a few fast frames.

The math didn't quite work out - any delay would mean more traffic, more rushing, less time to settle in at the office and methodically plan for the day - but I wasn't really focused on math at that point. Logically, I could have waited for another day. But it wouldn't have been this particular day, this particular moment. Keep pushing off opportunities like this one to another day and eventually you run out of days.

So inside I went to fetch the DLSR, because the smartphone just wasn't enough. I stood on our front porch and took 18 frames in just over 90 seconds, but it was the first one that ended up being the keeper. The ensuing morning was slightly more rushed because I ignored the adult voices in my head, but I ended up with a frozen-in-time moment that would have otherwise been lost.

Playing with my camera on my doorstep probably wasn't my smartest call yesterday, but when you think about the preciousness of a single day, the definition of "responsible" starts to shift. I guess it took a blazing sunrise to learn the difference.

#ldnont #landscape #sunrise #orange #red #light #day #night #sky #skies #fire #weather #wx #clouds #tree #trees #silhouette #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #dslr #instagood #photooftheday #family #is #everything #london #ontario #canada

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I do not remember ever reading that someone on their deathbed wished they had ignored more sunrises or sunsets.

Shammickite said...

I saw that fabulous morning sky too.