Saturday, March 23, 2019

The donut that made me smile

The colors of happiness
Port Hope, ON
March 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
The scene: An OnRoute highway rest stop near the ironically named Port Hope. My wife and I have stopped here on our way to Montreal, one long trip among too many long trips back home to see her ailing dad.

We don't want to be here - in this place, under these circumstances - but none of what he and we are experiencing has anything to with with what we want. Or what is fair. So we drive. It's what we do.

We've been up since before 4 a.m., and on the road before 6, so coffee is our friend. And while Debbie fetches some from the Tim Hortons, I find myself distracted by the donut display.

It's another stupid pic in a long string of stupid pics that I've been shooting of late. But this snippet of unexpected color makes me smile, which is all that matters to me in the moment. It also makes my wife wonder where I've gone - again - and more than a few folks in line stare intently as they wonder what I'm up to. After they realize I'm not a terrorist, they seem to find it amusing.

I believe photography, even when life hits turbulence, can always be a force for good. And I'd like to think that I've managed to prove that in this unlikely place, all thanks to some odd-looking donuts, some strangers, and a very understanding wife.

#port #hope #ontario #canada #onroute #highway #roadtrip #road #trip #travel #timhortons #donut #dessert #junkfood #sowhat #life #is #short #photooftheday #nofilter #nofilterneeded #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photography #life #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: