Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Getting reflective by the roadside

Mirrored moment
London, ON
August 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
I commute by bike for a whole lot of reasons, including my health (improving it), traffic (avoiding it), finances (I'm a bit frugal), and the environment (I feel guilty burning fossilized dinosaurs when I have access to cleaner alternatives).

But the one reason that stands out above all others is mental. It's good for my brain to fully unplug for however long it takes me to pedal to and from the office. When I ride, notifications aren't sliding into view, my inboxes don't ping, and calls go directly to voicemail. I feel better about life. About myself.

It's rather freeing to get off the interrupt-driven merry-go-round, even if it's only for an hour or so. That's more than enough time to recharge. Or allow my mind to dig into the deep thoughts that just can't be dug into when I'm more plugged in. Or simply do nothing more than enjoy the view.

As you can see from the photo, I was a little reflective on today's ride home. And while I was waiting for an overly long traffic light to turn green, decided a slightly off-centred view of Hyde Park Road was called for.

I didn't need a reason, but it felt like the right way to remember a moment I wish had lasted longer.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #bike #bicycle #bikesofinstagram #cycle #cyclist #cycling #forever #perspective #cyclingislife #wheel #wheels #round #mirror #reflective #random #abstract #photography #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

No comments: