Sunday, May 02, 2021

It all started with greyscale

There's color in there if you look hard enough
London, ON
April 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I’m on a bit of a monochrome kick this weekend, so thanks for humoring me.

I’m just old enough to remember shooting with film, where black and white photography involved loading up the right kind of film, then sticking it out till the roll was done.

These days, monochrome is just a couple of clicks away on one of my camera’s dials. Or I can even edit them back to monochrome after the fact. It’s easier, more convenient, less of an up-front commitment.

Which, if we’re being brutally honest, feels a little sad. I still remember the first time I checked out a 35mm pocket camera from the photo studio at summer camp, and was told I had two hours to finish the roll and return it.

As I walked alone on the dirt-and-gravel paths through the woods, my 12-year-old brain wrestled with the challenge of telling a story with a limited colour palette.

Fast forward to today, and I’m still figuring it out. Because trees need their story told more now than they ever have, and using various shades of grey is more often than not the ideal way to tell it.

At least that’s how it feels to me.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #medway #valley #forest #root #roots #tree #trees #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #monochrome #photography #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

Related:
Branching out, May 2021
Game of tones, May 2021

No comments: