Monday, September 06, 2021

Men Without Hats (without t-shirts)

No hats beyond this point
London, ON
August 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


Disclosure: old t-shirts make me nostalgic.

In fact, I have some ratty old examples that have been around since long before our kids were born.

Most of these shirts are, to put it charitably, no longer wearable in public. Not that "in public" is really a thing these days, but the truth is that I have scads of old tops that I probably should have turned into bike maintenance rags years ago.

So the other day our daughter offered to help me start working through the backlog. She suggested I take photos before I trash them.

Any Montrealer will know the logo here - Men Without Hats, the 1980s synth-pop band probably best known for Safety Dance. True fans know there’s much more to this Ivan Doroschuk-led band than a single song, and they have been a hugely influential force in the Canadian music scene for over 40 years.

Alas, my old t-shirt hasn't aged as well as their music has, and it was time for it to go. So my photo roll is now packed with pics like this, of shirts that had some or other significance at various moments in my tangential life.

It's odd, because I'm not really a "stuff" person. But there's something about a pile of t-shirts I've had forever that speaks to me.

Thankfully we've got digital photography to ensure the memories never fully fade away.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #spontaneous #tshirt #shirt #menwithouthats #stilllife #photography #apple #iphone #iphone11 #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: