Sunday, October 10, 2021

Back to the woods

Covered. For now.
London, ON
October 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I don't think I'll ever get tired of that feeling I get when I stare up at the forest canopy.

Small.

Humble.

At peace.

Whatever that feeling - or, more likely, mixture of feelings - ends up being, it's the kind of place that would do us all some good, if only we took the time to step into it every once in a while.

We're lucky to live so close to one of the richest ecosystems in the area, a stretch of green that's been lovingly protected from development even as the city casts an increasingly long shadow across its borders.

It's quite the change from my childhood, as I grew up in a town where places like this were bulldozed first, with few questions asked in advance. Or ever.

I remember having to ride my bike far from home before I came across anything more substantial than a tersely carved out suburban park, a grudging concession to those who would rather pull in tax revenue from more and bigger homes and businesses. Or who measured success by how many seconds they could shave off the commute by plowing another road through greenspace.

Some things are worth a longer commute. This is one of them.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #medway #valley #forest #tree #trees #green #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #apple #iphone #iphone11 #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

No comments: