Friday, October 11, 2024

The skies light up once more

Fireworks, sort of
London, ON
October 2024
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I’m not sharing this image of the Aurora Borealis above London because it’s somehow unique.

It isn’t. Not even close. The interwebs are filled with images tonight of folks all around the world who were lucky enough to witness another historic celestial event, and I’m not so arrogant as to believe that this iPhone-captured snap will rate.

Besides, I’m not a me-too kind of photographer, and when everyone points in one direction, I usually wander far far away in the other.

Actually, the significance of this particular photo has nothing to do with optics or photographic craft.

I share it simply to remind myself of another adventure with my lovely wife, who ever since I’ve known her has always been willing to leave the cozy confines of home with me in search of the unknown in the darkness.

We took a short walk to a nearby park and allowed our cameras to see more than our eyes initially could. We stood quietly amid the damp, cool grass and watched the glowing wisps high above shift ever so gently as they danced with our planet’s magnetic field. We walked home holding hands, excitedly debriefing on the wonder we had just seen.

Being entranced just wouldn’t be the same without her, and I couldn’t not remember what that felt like. So pixels will have to hold us over for now.

At least until the next celestial event. Or whatever other adventures we happen to find ourselves on before the sun decides to have another party in the heavens.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #aurora #borealis #solar #optimistpark #naturephotography #landscapephotography #photography #apple #iphone #iphone16 #shotoniphone


No comments: