Friday, July 15, 2016

On making sense of Nice, France

"There is a saying in Tibetan, 'Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength.' No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that's our real disaster."
Dalai Lama XIV
It's been a brutal week on so many levels. And after a crazed terrorist plowed a truck through a crowd in Nice, France and a monster in plain sight murdered 5-year-old Taliyah Marsman near Calgary, Alberta, it would be easy to throw our hands up in the air and say we're done, that we've lost our belief in humanity, that a world that would allow this to happen is a world we no longer want.

But I'm guessing that's what these monsters would want us to believe. Because if we do, if we give up, then they win. And I'm sorry, but the human condition isn't about folding up our tents and going home when a tiny minority among us decides to commit atrocities that can scarcely be described with words.

So please don't mind if I follow the Dalai Lama's lead. Because giving up isn't in my nature, and I hope it isn't in yours, either.

4 comments:

Jamie L said...

It would seem that we are systematically being conditioned to deal with this unheard of level of violence on a daily basis. My day now starts with sending my smart phone to CNN to see what horrible headline awaits. I am determined to not let the darkness and evil take over my heart and soul. I don't have any answers or frankly any idea what it is we are to do at this point.
Like 9-11 this last year or so is going to change our day to day lives for the foreseeable future. We will like others before us adapt and go on. I for one have no intention of letting the monsters take over my life. I will fight for the right to go to a mall, or a fireworks display, or a sidewalk café with my life if required. The light cannot be extinguished unless we make a conscious decision to let it. I have faith in humanity even in this age of insanity.

lisahaim said...

From experience, too much, that is the only way.

Gilly said...

We must have faith in humanity, and the goodness of humanity at that. These are not monsters, they are people, not like us, but still human beings. I don't know how it is to be done, but we must actively stand for respect for others, kindness, compassion and yes, love for our neighbours. The act of brutally trying to impose one's will on others cannot be tolerated. We fought WW2 for that very reason. But still there are those who hold beliefs that they wish to impose on millions of others by brutal, ugly force. I suspect (and I expect to be shot down on this one!) that that very ugliness exists in all of us, and that should we become somehow totally convinced that our way is the ONLY right way, and that God, or some charismatic leader, wants us to help impose that way, then we would turn to force.

Seems to me that loving our neighbours (ie all others) would be a start. I think its probably called respect. Start small and hope it grows like, um algae?

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I refuse to give up... but, I am getting tired of being tested... We've all experienced loss, how much loss do we have to experience? or is this just what LIFE is? (experiencing tragedy and goodness?) Its time the goodness outweighs!