Saturday, February 16, 2019

Looking back at where I've been

Fast-receding tracks
Mississauga, ON
February 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
I got lots of stares from fellow passengers as I walked to the back of our swaying train car as it sped west through the hinterlands of southern Ontario, Toronto fast receding behind us.

I'm guessing we've all been so conditioned to follow the herd (or keep our heads down, or stay in our seats, or say nothing, or attract no attention to ourselves, or...) that the very thought of shooting mid-course pics out the back window is anathema to us, something heretics might do, but certainly not the rest of us.

But I didn't remember seeing any written rules banning the practice, so back there I went. It isn't often, after all, that you get to see the railbed unravel itself behind you, and I wasn't about to miss a chance to enjoy something so unique and rare.

Because what's a journey if you don't make at least some attempt to make it special? What's the point if we limit every experience to the narrow band expected by the herd? What's the point of following the herd in the first place?

To these questions, I have no answers, and doubt I ever will.

#toronto #yyz #ldnont #yxu #london #ontario #canada #via #viarail #train #trains #trainspotting #trainstagram #rail #travel #travelphotography #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #photography #family #is #everything

No comments: