Thursday, October 05, 2023

What's a cathedral shot, anyway?

Humbled
London, ON
September 2023
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I do a thing every time I go for a walk in the woods: at some point, I look up at the canopy and take a photo.

I call it “the cathedral shot” because, well, it feels like a cathedral. The towering trees make me feel small. They cast a certain hush over the entire forest floor. They offer up temporary insulation from the outside world. They invite reflection, resonance, pause.

All just like a real cathedral, I suppose.

It seems stupid, really, the same kind of photo, every time I visit.

But when I look at the series of cathedral shots that I’ve accumulated over the years, I notice how they slowly shift - color, tone, depth, whatever - depending on when they were taken. Seasons have their own signatures, and the roof of the forest is as effective a measure as anything else.

I do take other kinds of pictures, too, but it feels somewhat comforting to always have a kind of go-to pose in my photographic pocket. As if bringing one home makes the trip feel complete. Or worthwhile, even.

I guess we all have weird little habits that we’ve evolved over the years. If they make us feel better in the process, and they don’t hurt anyone else, then I don’t see why we shouldn’t do everything we can to hold onto them.

And so I shall.

What’s YOUR weird habit? Does it involve a camera? Do tell…

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #medway #valley #heritage #forest #tree #trees #thames #river #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded


No comments: