Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Curves and lines


Hold on
London, ON, April 2007 [Click to embiggen]


I continue to walk the neighborhood around my office. The alone time gives me a chance to think reflectively without the usual interruptions of life. It also allows me to return with ever-evolving views of this historic world. I can walk the same route every day, and somehow I'll always be hit by a unique scene that I hadn't previously captured. I have no idea why this is so, but I won't challenge fate either.

I found this little detail in front of a lovingly restored century home. Someone once told me that people who buy these homes don't really own them. Rather, they serve as stewards for these historic buildings, preserving them for the generations to come. I like that sentiment. So genteel.

In this case, I'm glad that whoever was responsible for this place was sufficiently moved by the geometry of the railing to restore it to such a pristine state. The subtle curves and shadows are enough to make me want to take another look the next time I'm in the area.

Your turn: Look around you and pick out the first small detail that comes to mind. What is it?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hanging off my bookshelf in my bedroom is one of those measuring tape things for going around your waist. I imagine it's been like that for months. Actually, it's kind of annoying me now. I think I'll fix it.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, it's the whole thing Carmi. I cannot pick out any "deail"...I can nly say, the WHOLE is Beautiful in and of itself.

Good luck on your Radio/TV outings, my dear...And I hope you will listen to Sir Ken...It is a most inspring talk.

Kara said...

love it when someone takes the time to restore old treasures. We lost a building recently in town, over a 100yrs old and used to be a happening dance spot for many years. I look at the wreckage thats lft and all i can think of is all that history is gone...the stories it told lost.
hmm, a shape around me...i have wall sconces that almost seem to twin through the wall...i love those..

Sara said...

thanks for you comment yesterday Carmi, you should totally check out this post - it's about a very smart dog - I think you will like it!

CG said...

I have a tealight holder hanging in my window. it's kind of a spiral. i just love it...

Craver said...

I read your blog here and then went for a cup of coffee, standing in my kitchen overlooking my backyard, the thing that strikes me is the fencelines that surround my and my neighbors yards...the whole isn't so appealing but traveling the fenceline the way a squirrel would, it looks pretty cool.

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

The ugly pattern on the curtains in this hotel room in Philadelphia.

Anonymous said...

What a great photo. The small details I see here are ladybugs and salamanders. They always seem to catch my eye.

Anna said...

I am noticing the straps for our backpacks hanging over the luggage rack of the train...each one is moving back and forth with the train in unison. :)

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

the wood trim all around my house...it's not the normal color of trim - it's a warmer, almost honey chestnut color...and oddly enough, it matches our living room tables. Not planned that way, since this is a rental, but interesting, nonetheless (the carpet, a multicolored berber, also matches our couch, a multi-colored mess)

tommie said...

I have this antique wire basket on my counter full of various fruits. The wire is a stand of several pieces of twisted wires. I used to want to paint it because it kind of blends in with the counter...but when it is full of colorful fruit it looks best! How can I change something that has managed to be around for so long?

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Whoa. I took one look at that picture and was transported back to my parents' house... Freaky.

Rainbow dreams said...

the first small detail... the 'I love you' scratched roughly into a piece of clay done by my children that I keep by the computer... sentimental I know, but a real treasure..
I love the sentiment of stewards loooking after historic buildings too.. though I also subscribe to homes being to live in...:)

It's the love and care that someone has taken over this that strikes me from your photo.