Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Eats, shoots & leaves


Leaving the neighborhood
London, ON, October 2009


As we close out this week's Thematic theme, leaves, I thought I'd give it a bit of a twist. I came across this sad little scene on a sad stretch of a quiet little street on the fringe of my burg's downtown core. I never even knew there was a store back here, so my regret as I stood on the sidewalk revolved around never having had the opportunity to know what this neighborhood had lost.

Sure, it's a forgettable, crooked little building among a bunch of forgettable, crooked buildings. And whatever happened in this place is now part of this area's - and some stranger's - past. Wherever the now-former owner of this business ends up, I hope it's in a happier-looking place than this. And I hope that story has a happier ending, too.

Sometimes, things leave our lives with barely a ripple. Sometimes, we wish they didn't have to leave at all.

Your turn: Things we wish would never leave. Please discuss.

One more thing: New Thematic Photographic theme - red - launches tonight at 7:00 p.m. EDT. All welcome. Bonus points to folks who bring friends.

7 comments:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

i think happiness
then i remember it hasn't

just relocated

while I'm left scratchng my head on the pavement/ sidewalk and wondering which way to go

Cloudia said...

Good shot, your words add much.



Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Mojo said...

I think I less about the things that have left than the things that never were. On this eve of this year's BlogBlast for Peace it's obvious that we haven't so much lost Peace on Earth, we've never actually had it.

BlogBlast won't change that. But it can -- for one day anyway -- make us stop and think about where we're headed, and where we could be headed if we'd only stop a moment and blink, breathe, think.

christina said...

You are so kind, thanks for visiting me and my leaves!

invisible said...

What did the store sell?
There are some business that do not need a great location, but their success would be due soley to the proprietor.
An example would be a highly skilled cobbler, where people would go, rather than a chain store.
Then again some stores are just a bad idea.
Selling Limoge china in a back-alley store in cracktown probably isn't a sound financial plan.

PastormacsAnn said...

I've tried to leave a comment five times and haven't been able to bring myself to type my thoughts and post them.

The obvious thought for me is: loved ones. I wish I could have my mom back, that she would never have to leave. And not my cancer-battling mom, but my mom - healthy and whole.

Titus said...

That is a a picture of the back entrance to a run down clothing and junk store. The store spans the block between Dundas and Carling, like many stores on that block (Target Hi-Fi, Kingsmills etc). Further that store has been "closing" for several years.

The downtown core is not missing much with this stores departure.