Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thematic Photographic 77 - Buildings


Facade. Reflected.
New York, NY, November 2009


I returned from our quick trip to New York* earlier this month with a newfound respect for architecture. While most of us are too busy moving through the day-to-day challenges of life to stop and appreciate the impact of an unseen architect on our not-so-routine journeys, it doesn't hurt to slow things down and look around every once in a while.

Which is what I did when we were in New York. For a few minutes, anyway. And what I saw inspired me to select buildings as this week's Thematic Photographic theme.

This particular photo, taken on 5th Avenue in the shadows of the Empire State Building, has a neat backstory: I noticed an immaculately clean Cadillac Escalade parked illegally on the corner. So clean was its hood that the building above it reflected almost hypnotically in the pristine black paint. So I lined up and grabbed the shot. Only after I had the lens cap back on did I realize the driver was sitting inside, watching my every move. Oops.

Your turn: If it's got a foundation and takes up a slice of the sky, we want to see it. Over the next week, feel free to share as many building-themed photos as you wish on your blog, then leave a link to them here in a comment. For more on how Thematic Photographic works, please click here. And thank you for making it as much fun as it is.

*For more photos from this journey, please see my Facebook album here.

20 comments:

Light and Voices said...

Carmi-Your image of buildings is really different because you are using a car for the reflection. Unique idea! Here is my post of a building minus reflections: http://lightandvoices.blogspot.com/2009/11/thematic-photographic-77-buildings.html. Happy Thanksgiving from our house to your house.
Joyce M

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

that made me feel a bit dizzy! great theme.

Here is My Building

christina said...

I like this theme and your photo is very interesting!! I`ll be back with more buildings!!

Christine Gram said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine Gram said...

I love looking at buildings. I just posted several pictures I took while waiting outside of my kids' school.
Waiting in the Sun

Mojo said...

Oh this one is a slam dunk for me. Buildings are some of my favorite subjects. The hard part will be narrowing the field.

How's this for starters:
Thematic Photographic 77: "Buildings" v.1.0 - The Halls Are Alive

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Excllent shot - I love your perspective. The being watched part provided a wonderful giggle as well.

janie said...

brilliant photo and funny story, I wonder what the driver thought you were up to, probably thought you were really 'into his wheels man':)
here's mine http://janies-rainy-day.blogspot.com/2009/11/night-lights.html

Catherine said...

Here's something I have noticed about Victorian buildings
I love the reflection in your photo and the way it distorts the building.

christina said...

One more building from Gothenburg!

Jason Mayoff said...

Nice few building pictures you posted.

Here's mine

Mona Sweden said...

Your photo is very interesting and we sometimes have to put ourselves in some awkward situations to take the photos we desire!

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

Lovely shot!

We're spoilt for choice here!

I'm contributing two old ones:
a typical manchester skyline and what is currently my favourite building

NJ said...

Carmi- I haven't participated in your photo challenges lately but I just couldn't miss this one after my daughter posted these pictures of her recent trip to LA. I just thought this building was so cool it needed to be shared.
http://onthepathofleastresistance.blogspot.com/2009/11/thematic-photographic-77-buildings.html

Catherine said...

Thanks for visiting my building photos, Carmi. I'm back again with this colourful offering

Glennis said...

I love this theme - I came over here just after changing my banner photo to a building photo!!

I am linking a post I did a couple weeks ago about a building in Paris Felix Potin building

Glennis said...

And here's a new post on the theme of buildings:

http://doves2day.blogspot.com

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Unfinished

Catherine said...

Here's another contribution - looking forward to seeing what the next theme will be
Not-So-Green Building

hapzydeco said...

Reflection - clever take. This building, The Victorian House of Westminster Manor, was recently featured in a local newspaper.