Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thematic Photographic 99 - Glassy


Rainbow connection
London, ON, April 2010

[Please click photo to embiggen]

When a good friend of ours gave this incredibly lovely plate to us last month, my first thought was to shoot it as soon as humanly possible. Fortunately I didn't have to wait too long. Since I'm a fan of natural light - see this entry from earlier this week - I was out of bed early the next day the moment I saw sun streaming through the window. Breakfast could wait: This was perfect light.

I love working with glass because you never quite know what you're going to get. Exposure is always a bit of a challenge, of course, but that's what makes it so much fun to explore. You throw the camera into full manual and let your mind take care of the rest. It's very Zen, and it's one of the reasons I enjoy photography as much as I do.

I hope you enjoy it, too.

Your turn: For the next week, Thematic Photographic explores glass. Simply post a glass-themed pic on your blog or photo sharing site, then paste a link in a comment here. Repeat as often as you wish. And don't forget to visit other participants to share the photographic joy. For more background on how our weekly photo sharing/exploration extravaganza works, click here.

16 comments:

Gallow said...

Here's mine. Great lighting and colors on your photo.

Mojo said...

Long, long ago in a post far, far away my very first TP -- and in fact first memetic post -- was for Thematic Photographic 3: Glass. And 470 TP submissions later, we now have this one.

Thanks for bringing us this forum Carmi. It's been a great couple of years (and counting).

Janis said...

Wow...Love your photo...count me in this week...have to go explore my glass collection and see what I can come up with. Will post my photo on sat.

Holly Schwendiman said...

Anyone who bounds out of bed to catch streaming light is passionate about photography! Love it, and love the way you share it. :)

Hugs,
Holly

Maude Lynn said...

Wow, that is cool!

Jean said...

Some beautiful colours you have around you, Carmi! Or are they everywhere, just that some of us don't bother to see it? ....

Anyway, I'm off in search of Glass.....!!!

Pamela said...

wish I'd seen this earlier -- I was just down town and saw some interesting glass and light going on. Maybe another day.

love your plate.

Gilly said...

Here's my glassy effort!

Mona Sweden said...

I'm really glad that you, since a couple of weeks, are back from your break. I've been knocked out by a persistent cold so this time I'm entering with theme 97 as well as 99. Your photo of the plate is so cool and colorful.

Andrey Dorokhov said...

Great idea with glass!
Love that shot

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Gorgeous!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Here's mine.

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

an extra week! cool now I can join in.
Here is Mine

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

my other one
http://dennisthemennis.blogspot.com/2010/05/glassy-oxo-jar-tp-99.html

sunflowerkat said...

I stumbled on this at the tail end. I've been out of the blogging circle for quite a while but I'm trying to reintegrate myself. You'll find my submission here:

http://inmydreamssfk.blogspot.com/2010/06/thematic-photographic-glassy.html

Kat

sunflowerkat said...

I love fused glass and the way it plays with light. This was a great idea for the meme. I've posted a shot here.

http://inmydreamssfk.blogspot.com/2010/06/thematic-photographic-glassy.html

Kat