Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The anywhere office

Temporary newsroom
London, ON

November 2013
Thematic. Technological. Here.
Last week's big tech news was the 25th birthday of the World Wide Web. In case you missed it, I first wrote about it here.

In the blizzard of interviews that I did in support of this story, one question stood out: How has this single invention changed our lives? And the answer that I kept coming back to was one of democratization. Simply put, the Web made everything we use today possible, and allowed regular folks like you and me to harness crazy-advanced technology to lead careers that would have been unimaginable back then.

Caffeinated
Toronto, ON
December 2013
For example, the scene above: I had a pair of early morning interviews at the local TV studio. In between both interviews, I set up shop in the middle of the newsroom, tethered my laptop to my smartphone and finished off an article.

In the scene below, I hung out in a Toronto Starbucks on a bitterly cold December afternoon as I prepared for one of the more intense interviews I had done in a while. I used my iPad to do some deep research on the topic, winnow down the talking points and drill myself on possible flows and treatments. As I had done before, I was amazed at how a smallish backpack full of technology allowed me to be so productive so far from home.

I'm often asked what tomorrow will bring, and as much as I look forward to the next generation of tech goodies, I've got to admit what we already have is pretty incredible, and pretty transformative in its own right.

2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Microsoft was up big today. (Big for MSFT, at any rate.)

News is they're going to make Office software for the iPad.
~

Cloudia said...

My blogging life is a major part of my creative & social existence!

Oh, and I met YOU, Carmi



ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

=^..^= <3