Saturday, May 10, 2014

On friends and numbers

"As we grow up, we realize it is less important to have lots of friends and more important to have real ones."
Amanda McRae
I was never the popular kid in school, and even now I don't have a lot of friends, but the ones that I do have, I treasure. I see it as a quality over quantity thing in that I don't have time or patience to maintain large numbers of relatively shallow relationships. I'd rather have a smaller number of connections that really matter.

After all, it isn't a game, and I don't feel an overwhelming need to impress anyone. And when push comes to shove, the folks who really matter always seem to find a way to be there. Everyone else? Immaterial.

Your turn: Thoughts?

One more thing: Hat tip to my wife for finding this one. FWIW, she's my best friend. Hands down. No one else even comes close.

1 comment:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I totally agree w/you on this.. I learned who my friends were after my husband was killed... My so called friend told me she didn't invite me to her dinner party because I 'would throw her number off at the table'... this was said to me after I overheard her talking about it.. some friend, eh? dynamics change after the mourning is past... believe me.