Sunday, March 13, 2016

On giving thanks for the velo

"Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity."
Lord Charles Beresford
I seem to be in a bike-focused mood this weekend, so please forgive me for posting quickly and running out the door. The road awaits, and I've got a few kms to log before the rain moves in.

I hope you're able to hit your proverbial road today, as well. Whatever you're up to, may it be fun, fulfilling, and safe.

Update - 4:10 pm: I'm back from being beaten up by 40 km/h winds. Despite spitting rain and a route that had a lot more uphills and downs, I managed to add another 30.26 km to the tally. Ridiculous? Sure. But holy cow did it feel good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This post reminded me of the story of Soichiro Honda, who first attached motors to bicycles for transportation long before building cars. Of course motorcycles and cars emerged. But his story of scrounging for scarce metal during WWII after being bombed repeatedly is quite something.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I've not been a bicyclist in decades. But when I was younger, it was the thing. (I didn't get a car until I moved to Ohio when I was over 40.)
~