Sunday, February 03, 2019

The Icicle Works, Revisited

A losing battle with temperature
London, ON
January 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
The upside of a Canadian winter - and don't get me wrong, for all my whining about living in the Great White North, there are many upsides that more than compensate for the inconvenience of it all - is the never-ending parade of visual wonders that present themselves to us, often close to home. Or, in this case, literally ON my home, hanging from the roof's edge just beyond our front door.

There's a lesson in this singular icicle slowly losing its battle against the warming temperatures, and I'm thinking it has something to do with the universality of the forces that shape the world around us. We can't control any of it, but we sure can slow things down every once in a while so we can take it all in. I'm lucky to live in a place where this is even possible.

I know the presence of an icicle means I've probably got some inefficiencies in my roof, some insulation that isn't insulating, or some other less-than-ideal eco-related thing that's forcing some of that precious heated air out, when it should be staying in.

But that doesn't change the fact that for a few minutes on a Saturday afternoon, I got to watch droplets fall from the tip of a melting icicle. Small wonders, after all, deserve to be appreciated wherever and whenever they present themselves.

#ldnont #life #ice #icicle #works #winter #wx #monochrome #black #white #bokeh #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #dslr #zoom #instagood #photooftheday #london #ontario #canada #family #is #everything

No comments: