Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Tiny, wet dancer

Very temporary vision
Laval, QC
June 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Sometimes I shoot a photo that makes me wonder if my eyes are playing tricks on me. This is one of them.

I was playing - optically - in the fountain near my late father-in-law's place, trying, and largely failing, to distract myself from the fact that the universe was being a pain in the ass to my little family. Photography and writing have been something of a bubble for me these past few months, and as I stood in a crumbling parking lot taking pictures of fast-moving water, I felt a tiny bit of comfort that I had this space to return to when I didn't know what else to do.

Usually when I shoot, I try different settings and approaches, pausing between each set to quickly review and determine how to light and compose the next round. But the sun was so bright that I could barely see the screen. I crossed my fingers - a bad thing for a Jew, apparently - and kept at it for a bit. By now, it wasn't so much about getting the shot, but trying to engage in something that smoothed the edges off of my otherwise racing, turbulent mind.

The good news: Most everything I shot that day was reasonably decent. And this one? Well, I can't explain why I think it looks like a dancer in a dress.

I'll just have to assume the universe decided, for 1/4,000 of a second, anyway, to stop messing with my head and give me something to smile about.

#laval #chomedey #montreal #yul #quebec #canada #water #fountain #high #speed #photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #Nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #dslr #zoom #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: