Sunday, February 02, 2020

Shooting trees in the dark - and light

Finding light in the darkness
London, ON
February 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram
The scene: 10:05 on a Saturday night. I'm out with the pup for her last walk of the day. It's been snowing for a while, and she's happily sticking her nose into every drift she can find.

I don't think I've ever met a dog who loves the snow as much as Calli does, and watching her explore the fresh stuff can't help but make me smile. Pure, unmitigated joy is something to behold, and I wish some of hers would wear off on me.

Walks with her aren't so much walks as they are occasional forward progress marked by frequent and prolonged sessions of her sniffing something. Schnauzers have been bred to hunt, so this one follows her nose religiously. Which leaves me lots of time to stand around and watch her. Or, just as likely, what's around us.

It was during one of these breaks that I noticed the tree whose trunk she was forensically examining. Leafless branches newly covered with pristine, bright snow, held up by a dark, foreboding trunk. The perfect contrast on a night seemingly scripted for thoughtful moments like this.

Because there's always some kind of light to counter the darkness. We just have to look a little harder for it.

And on this evening, I had a time- and attention-challenged dog to thank for putting me in the perfect spot - and giving me the time - to capture it.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #random #urban #street #photography #tree #snow #frozen #winter #monochrome #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: