Friday, February 14, 2020

Unvalentine

Her
Toronto, ON
November 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
I don't need a manufactured holiday to tell me how I should feel or what I should do. If being told by advertising is what it takes to get us to show affection, we may need to re-evaluate how we define affection in the first place.

Still, it's never a bad thing, today or any day, to stop what we're doing and wonder about who matters most to us, and why. Once we're finished with the wondering part, it's never a bad thing to let them know.

So in case you haven't yet been introduced, this is my wife, Debbie. She finishes my sentences, laughs at most of what I have to say, and puts up with my weirdness.

She's also the very centre of our world, the pillar of our family, and the reason our house is home not only to us, but to anyone we know. The universe smiled on me when our paths first crossed, and it's been smiling on me ever since.

So, yes, today matters to us. But not because Hallmark says it should.

And tomorrow will matter even more, because that's the way this life and love and family thing is supposed to work. Of course, I won't be able to buy a February 15th Day card for her, but it was never about the cards, anyway.

I'll just have to find some other way to let her know. In other words, just like any other day.

#toronto #yyz #ontario #canada #valentine #valentinesday #holiday #live #laugh #love #levy #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: