Monday, April 03, 2023

Robots have overrun the local Walmart

I'll fight you for that bottle of ketchup!
London, ON
March 2023
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I’ve run into the store for a bottle of ketchup. Yet I’ve ended up in a staring contest with an anthropomorphic floor cleaning robot.

A few thoughts come to mind as I stand motionless and stare into its cold autonomously dead eyes:
  • Lightning McQueen need not worry. He’s still way cuter.
  • In-store staff don’t appreciate when customers attempt to ride this bad boy.
  • Endless fun can be had by watching others encounter this device.
  • Perhaps I’ll start a TikTok channel.
  • If the employees who once did the job by hand have been “reassigned”, they must be cleaning shopping cart bearings with a toothbrush in an off-site warehouse. The floor on this day is devoid of staff.
  • The self-checkout area at the front of the store remains strangely unclean. Coincidence?
  • I’m pretty sure the positioning cameras are collecting more than positioning footage. So I wave to our retail overlords.
  • I wonder if they’d mind me plugging in my phone for a top-up.
  • If these things are supposed to make the multinational operator of this store more efficient, why haven’t prices been reduced accordingly?
  • Seriously, where did all the human floor cleaners go?
As ever, I seem to have more questions than answers. But at least they have more than enough ketchup on the shelf.

So I pick up a bottle and head for the checkout. The one with a human cashier.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #walmart #grocery #store #shopping #retail #apocalypse #random #robotics #everyday #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

1 comment: