Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Introverts invade the forest

Not all is ever as it seems
London, ON
October 2023
This photo originally shared on Instagram


We were raised to believe we always needed to stand out.

Yet as I stare at the singularly brilliant orange tree screaming its presence from clear across the water, all I can think about are the relatively muted yellow and green and stripped bare trees standing beside it.

They don’t scream so much as whisper, yet they’re the ones I can’t stop looking at.

I bring this up because I’m an introvert. I get laughed at whenever I mention it. Folks figure because I spend time in front of mics and cameras that I just love me a good crowd scene.

Sorry, no.

Crowds are hard for me. I have to work myself up to making a phone call or leading a meeting. I overprepare beforehand, then need to recharge after I’m done.

Parties aren’t my jam. Sure, I’ll attend if I have to, and I’ll smile and laugh and dance. But I’ll collapse in relief when I’m done. I cherish quiet moments - on long walks, on the bike, in an isolated corner of the house - to slow everything down and allow my brain to catch up.

I’m keenly aware of the fact that our world seems to value things that stand out, that are big, loud, bright.

For most of us it starts early, in primary school, where we’re trained, Pavlov-like, to raise our hands and compete for attention as a way of validating our knowledge. Too bad for you if that’s not your thing.

So, the trees. Orange grabs the eye first and most strongly. But allow your gaze to settle for a bit and the so-called lesser lights eventually take their place on the stage. It takes time, but those quieter elements will tell their stories if we allow them to.

Trees. People. Whatever.

Maybe we’ve been looking at things the wrong way. Maybe raising our hands and hoping our teachers notice us isn’t the answer. Maybe we all just have our own way of interacting with those around us. Maybe those definitions need a bit of an update.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #westminsterponds #tree #trees #leaves #autumn #texture #color #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

Related:
When colors fade, October 2022
Shades of orangeish, October 2011

No comments: