Sunday, May 22, 2005

My one Star Wars entry

I will risk universal geek-wrath by stating my overall disinterest in anything related to Star Wars. Sure, when the original film made its debut in 1977, it represented a new benchmark in special effects. It was also a pretty good, if hopelessly simplistic story of good vs. evil. Just perfect for a kid of that era, and palatable, even, for tagalong parents (come on, Carrie Fisher with the danish on her ears...one never forgets that image!)

But time has moved on. And as George Lucas accumulated ever-increasing wealth, his focus on successive generations of CGI technology pulled him away from the simple stories that made the original such an enjoyable cinematic romp. In short, the stories got lousier with time.
Time out: I don't deny Mr. Lucas's positive impact on the technology of special effects. He has been extremely generous in making much of his groundbreaking work available to the general entertainment community. Regardless, his storytelling skills have eroded with time. These days, his storytelling is about as entertaining as a stuttering parrot's. I've digressed long enough. Back to our story...
Lucas's journey into mediocrity begat a whole new generation of satire flicks. The Internet has made it cheap, easy and fun to share the results with the rest of the world.

The latest example, Grocery Store Wars, is a rather bizarre take on why organic vegetables are better than frankenfoods. It's hokey film making - just like Star Wars used to be. And it'll make you think twice the next time you cruise your shopping cart through the produce aisle.

Pull up a cucumber and watch it here. Do it soon before the litigious Hollywoodites call their lawyers and have this site pulled down.

BTW, thank goodness this is the last flick in the series. The world can only take so much, wouldn't you agree?

6 comments:

Queen on the run said...

ITs all about opinion..I happen to love Star Wars. I can't wait to see "The Revenge of the Sith" I know I know its cheesy but there ya have it I LOVE STAR WARS:):):):)

Maddie said...

I see the words STAR WARS and my eyes glaze over. Case in point: I almost didn't read the rest of your post when at first glance, I spotted the words.
My husband, on the other hand...well, he bought a $300 light saber. Nuff said.

L said...

I loved the organic food satire!

I did go see the latest SW flick, but was disappointed -- the acting and dialogue were horrible! I still like the first two originals the best...

Photominer said...

We will eventually see the final installment some day soon. I'm still trying to get through episode 2. I taped it and haven't managed to sit through it all yet because it is so bad.

"The Empire Strikes Back" will always be my favorite in the series.

I hate Ewoks.

JanetsJourney.com said...

Too me Star Wars became more about the F/X than the story...that is where Lucas lost me!

Unknown said...

Oh thank goodness! I've never liked Star Wars even as a child in the 70s.

Man it feels good to get that out.

And whatta ya know, my husband still married me anyway ;).