Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Dahlia by the water's edge


Watching the tide roll in
Deerfield Beach, Florida, December 2007


I spend a lot of my time watching my kids. From the way they bounce out of the car every morning and greet their friends in the school yard to listening to them speak to their grandparents on the phone, I enjoy seeing them go through their daily paces as they gradually figure out how to navigate the world around them. They won't be kids forever, after all, so either I take the time now or risk losing that opportunity forever.

So when we went to the beach and our daughter paused for some quiet observation time, I hung back and watched her take in the scene. I know how I feel when I stand next to a large body of water: I feel small; I wonder what and who is out there; I think about what it might be like to venture away from the safety of the shore. As I took this shot, I wondered if she was having similar thoughts.

Now I have a whole new bunch of questions to discuss with her. Neat.

Your turn: Watching the next generation grow up. Please discuss.

4 comments:

Sara said...

It is so neat to see you interact with your children. How you think and feel about them...how you want to share so much of their lives! It is an awesome thing...

Anonymous said...

This post has extra meaning for me because my first born, Mr. Cool, turns 16 tomorrow. And I see him standing at the shore's edge, looking out at what is in front of him, and wondering what will come next.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo today. It did a mama's heart good. ;)

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

What a thoughtful post... Our "little one" turned 18 in Oct. and I am going to miss seeing the world with a child, through a child's eyes. *tear* Even though I am not a child, having one with you when you see things is like seeing the world from a childs perspective, a little bit anyway...

Sara said...

Seeing as I don't have any children I can't really comment on this but I'm sure my mum would have lots to say as I'll be turning the big 3-0 tomorrow!!