Monday, March 11, 2013

You've been carted

I went grocery shopping with my wife yesterday. Not an earth-shattering milestone by any means, nor one worthy of headlines in even the smallest of publications. In the pantheon of our family, it probably won't rank among the major life events like weddings or birthdays.

But still, an important step. A first step toward, if not normalcy, then something approaching it. A cherished moment of quiet togetherness during a time that has allowed both of us precious little of it.

So when I pulled out the smartphone and gave her my little I'm-about-to-have-a-little-fun smile, and she returned her little smile of understanding permission, it was a sign that we were somehow still ourselves, still the finish-each-other's-thoughts pair we've always been. Changed, of course. But still...us.

More on this soon. But for now, I wanted to start the week off with hope and a flash of brightness in the distance.

Sound good?

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

See!! What I tell ya? ALL IN GOOD TIME!....Doesn't it feel good? I bet your MIL is smiling and giving a big sigh of relief...((HUGS))

Judy said...

Priorities are important...fun between partners...

21 Wits said...

It sure does!

Bernie said...

I can almost picture you giving her that 'smile' and it being returned... But what I was expecting after reading that sentence was her to flick her hair back, and then 'striking the pose' in the middle of the aisle!!! As opposed to capturing a shopping trolley wheel, whilst an intriguing shot in itself, is less than a stunning shot when compared to the love of your life!! :)