Thursday, November 15, 2018

Sharing perspective from a window seat

Plateau below
Las Vegas, NV
November 2018
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Perspective is a funny thing. From way up here, the landscape below looks puny. Sitting in a plane at altitude, it's hard to get a sense of scale as you stare at the formations below you. The cliff faces you see here are taller than most buildings in my home town, yet I can easily cover them with my thumb. And I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on this 767 having this existential debate with myself at this particular moment.

Even if everyone on this side of the plane was indeed looking out the window, each one of us would perceive the scene differently. Perhaps some of us would think nothing of it, something to be brushed into the past because this damn flight is taking too long. Perhaps others would see the wonder, the geologic history, and wish for another pass to get a closer look.

I know which side of the equation applies to me, yet I smile as I think about the incredible landscape below, and the fact that it tells different stories depending on who's doing the looking, and from where.

Is there a broader lesson in this? I'm thinking there probably is, but for now, it's enough for me to squeeze off a shot and wait for our fast-moving plane to soon offer up another wondrous scene to ponder.

#las #vegas #lasvegas #ldnont #yxu #toronto #yyz #pearson #mccarran #international #airport #road #trip #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #aircanada Air Canada #flight #flying #aviation #avgeek #google #pixel2 #teampixel #life #family #is #everything

No comments: