Saturday, July 18, 2020

Making sense of turbulent waters

Energy, visualized
Cancun, Mexico
November 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram


There’s turbulence, chaos, unpredictability, and danger in these waters. Probably a few more frightening elements mixed in for good measure, as well.

But there’s also boundless energy and texture in this scene and in this place. There’s the life-affirming sound of the crashing surf, the indescribable feel of waves breaking around your ankles, the delightful oozing sensation of your toes sinking into the soft sand below, almost like an anchor against the surging tide.

I could stand here all day. And during the precious times that my family and I get to visit remarkable beaches like this one, I often do.

Sometimes I wonder why I feel the need to repeatedly shoot the surf, to return to similar places and tell similar stories.

The answer is fairly simple: Every time will be different, every experience will be unique. Wind, light and surf conditions can vary wildly from day to day, or even moment to moment. Even who I’m with that day can change the very nature of what I see and how I capture it. Life has many variables, after all, most of which we can barely control.

Regardless, if it brings me joy, then what’s the harm? Shouldn’t we all have places like this parked permanently in our imagination, ready for a moment’s inspiration whenever the here-and-now becomes too hard to handle?

#cancun #mexico #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #explore #beach #surf #sea #nature #photography #naturephotography #landscapephotography #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: