Sunday, September 13, 2020

A Raptor creates its own weather

Air dominance
London, ON
September 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I spent the day yesterday sitting on a taxiway at London International Airport with my good friend, Steve, watching airplanes fly by.

Pandemic be damned, #LdnOnt had an airshow thanks to the good folks at Airshow London who moved heaven and Earth to make this happen. We're incredibly lucky they pulled it off. And I'm incredibly lucky I got to point my camera skyward every once in a while and try to capture some very fast-moving hardware as it ripped holes in the sky.

It was quite the experience, and as I start processing the massive pile of pixels that I hoovered through glass onto my memory cards, I realize I ended up with at least a couple of moments worth sharing here. Like this F-22A Raptor throwing off more than a little vapor during a full afterburner pass. It's one of those weirdly abstract scenes I couldn't recreate if I had all the time in the world (though if we're timing this out, this one took 1/3,200 of a second at f/5.6.)

But EXIF data aside, I'm glad I was there to witness and record it, and spend some all-too-precious time with a friend who loves this stuff even more than I do.

More plane-y moments to come, because I kind of have a thing for planes. And photography.

#ldnont #london #airport #ontario #canada #SkyDrive #AirShowLondon #aviation #lockheedmartin #f22a #raptor #stealth #fighter #flight #aircraft #avgeek #aviationphotography #planespotting #instaplane #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #Nikon #nikonphotography #photography #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: