Friday, December 22, 2023

The first freeze

Don't miss the moment
London, ON
December 2023
This photo originally shared on Instagram


We had our first deep freeze the other night, which meant by first light the gutters were filled with tiny worlds of frozen wonder - at least until the Sun showed up and melted them all.

I attracted more than a few stares as I paused the dog-walk and crouched down for a closer look. Most of them weren’t worth the pixels, but a couple of them held promise.

I’m under no illusion that any of these are frameworthy, but I had to start somewhere.

That old photographic saw - good is good enough - seems to have worth beyond the lens, as well. For now, it’s enough to shoot quick scenes with a smartphone camera. It gets my head back in the gutter photography game, and it gives the neighbours a few things to think about - namely that I’m insane - while I work on refining the craft.

Eventually I’ll probably pull out the actual camera and leave the dog at home. Eventually I’ll have more experience working through the specifics of this particular genre. It’s how you get better, both behind the lens and when you’re far away from it.

Photography and life. Yet again, I’m learning they’re more closely linked than I might have once thought.

Funny the things we learn when we hang out on the dirty edge of the road.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #onstorm #water #ice #frozen #winter #walkabout #actofdog #nature #naturephotography #abstract #stilllife #photography #apple #iPhone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded


No comments: