Sunday, June 07, 2026

We'll cross that bridge...

Cable stayed
Nipigon, ON
June 2026
This photo originally shared on Instagram


So I’ve got this little thing for bridges. I think they’re awesome examples of public infrastructure. Ask my friends from childhood: once upon a time, bridges were all I talked about, and thankfully they stayed friends with me despite my singular, annoying obsession.

It’s an obsession that never really went away.

Bridges usually have remarkable back-stories that span years or even decades, and often involve the colourful lives of the people who designed and built them.

Then they spend their lives quietly serving the community, often ignored by those who use them.

The Nipigon River Bridge is no exception. It’s a relatively newish addition to the Trans-Canada Highway just east of the surprisingly named town of Nipigon. It literally connects the country.

It uses a cable-stayed design, its ultra-modern silhouette standing in stark contrast to its admittedly rural surroundings. If bridges had a cool factor - and let’s be clear, I believe they should - this one would be riding the float at the prom.

So when our road-tripping family recently had occasion to drive across it, I had about 8 seconds to get ready. I was sitting in the front passenger seat of a minivan with a hideously insect-splattered windshield. The Nikon was packed away, so my iPhone would have to do.

I panic-guesstimated a dramatic angle that would highlight the freaky-looking cables and towers, aligned the lens between the insect remnants, and timed the shutter release as best I could. In reality, I prayed whatever prayer photographers say when they’re hoping against hope - and shooting essentially blind - and stabbed the virtual shutter repeatedly as we zoomed across the span at triple-digit speeds.

The result was…a pleasant surprise. Decent angles and composition. No bugs. A lovely sky as backdrop. Kind of a miracle, frankly.

I guess the prayers worked. Either that or I’m slowly learning to stop overthinking things and just shoot in the moment.

Let’s go with that, then.

#nipigon #ontario #canada #bridge #roadtrip #travelphotography #transcanada #geometry #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone

No comments: