Monday, February 21, 2005

Journalism loses a giant

I generally stay away from posting news stories, since my little blog can hardly do a better job of covering stories than the wire services.

But I would feel disrespectful, somehow, if I didn't at least mention that Hunter S. Thompson, the man who defined gonzo journalism and new journalism (PDF link), and to a large extent, defined how I felt long-form writers should impact their environment, died yesterday of an apparent suicide.

Beyond the omnipresent shadow of drugs, his shaping of the reporter's narrative form helped an entire generation of writers keep the feature genre not only alive, but vibrant and relevant.

Death is always sad. But it's somehow a little bit sadder when the world loses an influential voice.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I know. I'm stunned and saddened by his death; he was one of my favorites.

By the way, Carmi, I thank you for your kind comments and thoughts while I was away. They are appreciated, more than I can say.

Jef said...

That is sad... especially since it seems he felt that he needed to take his own life.

rose said...

It's always sad to read about someone's passing. In this case, sadder since he took his own life.

L said...

This was so sad-- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is one of the funniest books I've ever read...

I wonder if Doonesbury will have a special cartoon...

Gel said...

Hi Carmi! This is my first visit here! I already posted under a different topic, then read more of your profile.

***Although I had already said I'd bookmark you, reading that you're a fan of Sandra Boynton, cemented that choice! (Noticing the books you like would have done it, too. :)

This info here in your post has been all over the web: a testimony to his profound effect on us. It pains me when someone feels the need to take his own life in the manner he did. I wish that his pain could have been alleviated differently, but it seems that had been a life-long struggle for him. He will be missed.