Friday, January 20, 2006

Coming home

On a gray Sunday a few weeks ago, our little man had a busy social calendar. I spent a good chunk of the day carting him from one birthday party to another. Thankfully I had my PalmPilot to keep everything sorted out.

On the way home from his final affair of the weekend - at a kids' gym - he chattered about how much fun he and his friends had, and how he wanted to have his party there as well. This will change three dozen times between now and his actual birthday this summer, but we’ve learned to just nod our heads because who are we to deny the dreams of a munchkin?

As we pulled into the driveway following the last party, he thanked me for taking him before he undid his seatbelt, opened the door, and popped out. He’s increasingly expressing his independence in all sorts of ways. I watched him trundle toward the front door, ring the bell and give my wife a big hug as she opened the door. Sitting in the car, I couldn’t hear what he was saying, but it was clear from his body language that he was excitedly telling her about every aspect of his day.

Watching him come in from the cold to an overwhelmingly warm greeting reminded me why I love returning home so much. It’s the one place in the world where you’ll always be kissed and hugged no matter what kind of day you’ve had. It took a five-year-old in a giant winter coat to reaffirm this very simple reality.

22 comments:

kontan said...

through the eyes of a child. i love those moments :)

sweet post carmi.

here from michele's today.

Valbee said...

It really *is* a happy read! :) Very nice..

I check in often, but right now it's thanks to Michele.

ribbiticus said...

i agree. as long as you can come home to a warm loving family (and a friendly pooch or two), nothing else matters. :)

Chrixean said...

Such a great thing it is to have a child welcome you after a tired day or after being away for awhile. I love having a son. He makes my life worth living :-)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Such a sweet post Carmi...You are such a very loving man! Your wife and children are lucky, and it sounds like you feel the same way!

Here from Michele today, my dear.

Anonymous said...

That's so neat... Thanks for expressing this with such vibrance, Carmi!

here from Michele's!

Dale Challener Roe said...

It's a double edged sword though isn't it? They grow up, but they grow up...

Here via Michele and in response to your comment at my blog.

Nice to meet you.

kenju said...

Carmi, the whole world should hire you to teach people how to be a father.

the Intuitive Woman said...

That is a very sweet story. I love to hear about Dad's appreciating and bonding with their kids.

PS: Michele sent me

Chatty said...

That's the best part of the end of any day!

Michele sent me.

Sandy said...

I think that whole post is just one big oversized coat on a little kid bear hug. Thanks for sharing it.

Robyn said...

It's amazing how much children remind us of what's really omportant in life. Thank Carmi for the glimpse!

Anonymous said...

There is no place like home. And it took me your post to remember this. Thanks, Carmi.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's even better when one of them looks up at you and says, "Snuggle?"

You bet!!!

Karen said...

Gosh, I miss those days so much. When my kids were bursting with stories of their day and their adventures and could barely catch their breath in between each tale. Everything was the BEST and the MOST FUN EVER. What a nice reflection on how great home is. Great post.

Krista said...

thank you for this post - the smile on my face is bigger then it has been all day!

Anonymous said...

Great, heartwarming post...

Unknown said...

Carmi: Yes! My Videographer is also like you--marrid to a wonderful ladyand two precious boys. Inhis office I asked him about the small Matchbox racing toy cars still in their packages. He laughed and told me the kids went nuts over Christmas and gave him gifts they really wanted. So, he keeps them on display and reminds them when they visit, that they are his toys! Great Post! As usual!!

Marisa said...

Visiting via Michele today Carmi.

this is just beautiful. Gives me something to think about -- especially as I go "home" today to my parents' house. (although I'm quite a bit older than 5)

Prego said...

The kids hug and kiss. The wife gripes.... but, what are you gonna do?

I think I'll get off the computer and hug and kiss the boys some more. Thanks for the heartwarming.

Here via Michele again.
p

dena said...

I love all of that...the unexpected, consistant hugs, the repeated and ever changing birthday party location...gotta love those kids.

visiting from michele's

Kara said...

There are times I believe that God gave us children in order for us to remember what unconditional love is. Loved the post.