Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Writer's block


The writer's life is a somewhat bizarre one. As the sky gradually lightens, I find myself sitting in a coffee shop that is surrounded by dense fog and populated by a changing mix of very happy people who are starting their day. The laptop is sucking data from a glorious (and free-with-purchase) spigot of wireless.

Even as I sit here trying to divine an idea for tomorrow's column, I've got a good feeling that that written-in-panic stretch of blue text in the photo above will quickly be replaced by something that will make readers at breakfast tables tomorrow morning pause and think.

I can't help but conclude that life is good.

Update, 7:45 a.m. The column is written. Once I locked onto an idea, it flowed onto the screen pretty quickly. I'm happy with the result, and now set my sights on enjoying a quiet day with the kinderlings and the woman who makes it all happen. I've taken this picture to show you what writing looks like at this hour of the day. Be warned: It isn't pretty.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice picture. get out into the sun,you look pale enjoy your day. dad

Jill said...

Palm trees, Kona coffee, Aloha something or other in the background...are you in Canada or Hawaii? Nice pic, Carmi.

Karen said...

I can't imagine writer's block when it's your job! Well, actually, I can, since I used to do some writing in my past career. But, it looks like you have a nice place to work it out.

Hi from Wisconsin...

Uisce said...

With 100% you can't go wrong! :)

Anonymous said...

Carmi, you are so COOL!

Trillian said...

You make me smile, Carmi. I'm glad to see your face!

Miss you lots and looking forward to living a little closer in just 17 sleeps. :)

Thumper said...

I frequently have that OMG I don't know what to write feeling...but never that early in the morning. I just don't =do= mornings... ;)

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

What do you do if you just can't come up with a column? can you do a best of, like those clip shows the sitcoms always have?

Aginoth said...

I prescribe coffee...lots of coffee

Tabor said...

Let's see, you are working in a coffee shop and you finish your day early and you say it AIN'T pretty? Well, it sure ain't ugly

Sandy said...

And...so? What was the topic?

Anonymous said...

you look like a cutie from here!!!
and that looks like a great place to get inspiration from, life is good indeed, enjoy.

kenju said...

I think it could be pretty - but it is too dark to tell. Glad you got over your blockage....lol

WendyWings said...

You look fine and I am sure the article was inspired and precise and cutting edge as always, either that or it totally sucked ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures and the glimpse into your life. I can never concentrate enough to write in cafes...but I can play scrabble in them!