Sunday, February 25, 2007

Caption This 7


[Please come up with a caption for this photo...see details below]
Mallorytown, Ontario, December 2006 [Click to enlarge]


Sometimes, when you see a crisp apple lying forgotten on the ground in the middle of a highway rest stop parking lot, you feel the need to get down on the ground to capture the moment. I've learned to not ask why I so often feel this need.

If you're new to the Caption This feature here on Written Inc., please click here to read the rules, such as they are. Click here to see all CT entries to-date. Last week's entry was the sixth in our increasingly popular series. This closeup of a glass goblet's stem attracted some of the most varied responses thus far. Interestingly, it also marked the first time some readers actually voted for someone else's submission! (I thought that was kinda neat...feel free to toss in a vote, if you wish.)

In the end, I was swayed by Judy's perspective. She saw in this image something I had not seen when I first composed it, namely a schematic of the female reproductive system. She challenged us all to look at it in a very different, and very funny way. That's the magic of photography, in my book, and it's why her caption takes it this week:
"Marian loved being a woman so much she had her womb memorialized in glass".
Judy is a gifted florist and hands down one of the kindest bloggers you'll ever have the pleasure to read. If you haven't visited her site, Imagine What I'm Leaving Out, you're certainly missing out on a treat. Please tell her hello from me when you visit.

Your turn: What caption would you give to the poor-little-apple picture above? I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes when I see a crisp green apple on the floor I pick it up and eat it!

CAPTION: Where's my cab!!

Shephard said...

"It was only a matter of time before the horses showed up. Siegfried's plan was right on schedule."

~S

Jean-Luc Picard said...

The new Garden of Eden?

Jean-Luc Picard said...

BRW Michele sent me here.

Carli N. Wendell said...

Very moving photo. Really. It almost made me cry. . . and not just because the only photos I take are of an asthmatic cat.

It also reminds me of the ongoing battle to bring Beatles music to iTunes.


Caption: Where is love?

kenju said...

Unfortunately, this one doesn't bring up anything like last time. Thanks so much for the mention, Carmi. I don't come up with captions often, but when I do - it is worth it! Now I have to go back and read everyone else's comments and captions.

Linda said...

The apple's scheme to rule the world began slowly...first, keep all the doctors away....

Michael K. Althouse said...

So it is in life as well...

"Sometimes, the apple does fall far from the tree."

Mike

Frankie said...

"Oh God. Is that Martha Stewart coming this way? I thought I fell far enough from the tree to escape being pie filling!"

rob said...

"Granny Smith is wanted for questioning in regards to the resent drive by slaying at a local rest stop..."

Nestor Family said...

Caption: "All I have ever wanted to be was applesauce!!! This is my chance!"

Tabor said...

An apple a day keeps the doctor away unless you have to step in front of moving vehicles to retrieve it!

Rebecca said...

Hey Carmi!! I'm such a slacker when it comes to blogging lately. It means so much to have you stop by and enjoy the visit! :)

The first thing I thought of when I saw this picture was "Far from home." Nothing funny...although I wanted to be funny :) Love the photo.

utenzi said...

Caption: I've escaped! Now what?

That other picture does look a lot like an illustration of a uterus, Carmi.

Michele sent me!

Anna said...

Seriously Carmi....Mike A. took mine...

I thought of the exact same thing! Great minds think alike...hehehe...or we are apples that indeed fell dar from the tree! It may be the latter! :)

Maybe I will have better luck next week!

kenju said...

"The teacher will do without today".


Michele sent me back, Carmi.

Leanne said...

"Please don't park here, please don't park here, please don't park here!"

Corey Bienert said...

Mr. Althouse kinda took the first thing that came to my mind.

maybe just to slim it down a little, you could call it:

"Not Far From The Tree"

Olyal said...

The only caption I could come up with is "Why did the apple cross the road?"

You photograph some interesting stuff Carmi.

Michele sent me this time.

David Edward said...

future site of "fresh apple cider"

Lifelong Learner said...

The most obvious: "Road Apple"

But I really like "Why did the apple cross the road." Too funny.

Carmi, I'd really like to use your road picture for a story on my blog. Would that be possible? I'd be sure to give you credit and links! But I don't want to impose, either.

Love the apple picture.

David Edward said...

i am voting for Carli for pure cryptic value....

Anonymous said...

This is the apple of Carmi's eye?

Michelle says hi :)

photowannabe said...

"God didn't make little green apples and it don't rain in Indiappolis in the summer time"
That's all I remember of the song....Thanks for your very kind comments on my blog. I appreciate it. Santa Clara DP calls me photoIam...who knows maybe someday I will change my name.

Gyrobo said...

"The Worm family takes their new mobile home out for a spin."

Debbie said...

How about "Another Roadside Attraction." Yes it was a book by Tom Robbins but it seems to fit for me!

cinnamon gurl said...

Why did the apple cross the road?

Oh dear... now I see that's already taken.

persia said...

"apple, stationary"

Craver said...

"Bad Apple"

(ie, crossing the road outside the crosswalk)

Leah said...

"Maybe crushed, probably thrown but not forgotten"

Matt said...

I love this picture.

Sara said...

"Left behind in the hustle & bustle of the trip"

Anonymous said...

That's the doctor walking away.

Carli N. Wendell said...

cryptic value?
I came to see what the competition was, but with Dave's comment, I feel a need to clarify:

That apple, along with your description and the cobblestone road, reminds me of Oliver Twist. Where is Love is a song from the musical Oliver!, sung by the title character at his loneliest moment. And that's all I meant.