Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Independent-minded bird on a wire

Non-conformism at altitude
Laval, QC
October 2018
This photo originally shared on Instagram
When you find yourself in a crowd, you essentially have two choices: Follow it, or don't. It's easier to follow. You explain less. You argue less, too, and even think less because the decisions are pretty much made for you. Just go along with everyone else and everything will work out in the end. Or so we've been led to believe.

If you've followed me for any amount of time, you've likely realized by now that I'm not a follower. I blaze my own path, listen to my own voice. I explain myself a lot, because my path isn't always easy for others to understand. I get challenged, sometimes to the point of argument, and even have fewer friends than would otherwise be the case. Sometimes I stop arguing entirely because there's just too much to do, not enough time to explain myself, and most mainstreamers wouldn't listen, anyway.

There's one bird in this scene that grabs my eye, one bird who seems to have the spunk necessary to turn tail, to point in a unique direction, and in doing so dare to defy the whim of the crowd.

That bird has particular significance today. See, I have no interest in sharing the same year-ending/resolution silliness that now pollutes everyone's feeds. Because every day, not just January 1, should be cause for reflection, thankfulness, and kindness.

But this singular bird seems to want to remind me - and maybe you - why the less popular path is often preferable, why turning your back on others and doing your own thing, your own way, could be, for some, a recipe for a life better lived.

Makes sense to me today, and it'll make just as much sense tomorrow and beyond, all thanks to a nameless bird I happened to encounter in a parking lot far from home.

#laval #quebec #canada #bird #birds #flight #travelphotography #travelgram #photography #nature_brilliance #EarthVisuals #artofvisuals #welivetoexplore #natureaddict #naturediversity #ourplanetdaily #unlimitedplanet #birdsofinstagram #animalsmood #birdwatching #bestbirdshots #birdstagram #birding #instabirds #canon #canon_photography #canonphotography #family #is #everything

No comments: