Saturday, April 20, 2019

Structures, up close

A bridge too far
London, ON
April 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Here's a fun thing for you to try the next time you're out and about: Walk right up to something - a building, a streetlamp, or pretty much whatever you wish - and stare at it for a while.

I can guarantee you'll get stared at, as well, by strangers who will doubtless think you're a weirdo. But ignore them.

Instead, stand your ground, keep doing what you do, and enjoy the process of appreciating something you've probably never really appreciated previously. Enjoy hitting pause on everything and everyone else, even if it's just for a few fleeting moments.

This is the pedestrian bridge a few steps away from my office. I had some extra time to kill on a sunny Saturday morning, so I slung my Nikon over my shoulder and took a walk.

I spent a while walking the wooden-slat walkway under the century-old trusswork, ducking between the shadows and feeling the magic of this often overlooked structure. It took a while for the visuals to firm themselves up in my head, but eventually I got the photos I was destined to get.

I was indeed stared at. So I smiled back. Maybe next time they'll bring their cameras, too. We could always use more eyes looking at things whose stories aren't told as much as they deserve.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #random #urban #street #photography #monochrome #king #bridge #civil #engineering #design #lines #perspective #thames #river #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photo #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: