Saturday, May 04, 2019

Looking for the rest of the puzzle

So many unknowns
London, ON
May 2019
This photo originally shared on Instagram
The scene: I'm walking back to the car after a long day of trying to outrun time. I spot a single puzzle piece in the middle of the sidewalk beside a busy downtown road and walk a few steps past it before my brain hits the brakes and forces me to head back.

I stand over this forlorn piece of cardboard and wonder where it comes from, what the full puzzle might look like, who might have owned it, and what their reaction will be once they finish the rest of the puzzle only to realize they're one piece short.

At least that's what I imagine, because the more likely scenario is that no one cares, that this is just another piece of discarded modernity among countless such pieces I've walked wordlessly past my entire life.

Because not everything has a story despite my idealistic wishes that it might.

But just in case, I crouch down and compose a few frames before continuing my journey. I think most of my photos lately have been of the just-in-case variety. Sounds like a reasonable enough excuse to record whatever trivialities the universe decides to throw across my path.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #road #downtown #queens #avenue #urban #street #photography #grey #concrete #texture #monochrome #puzzle #game #lost #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Just in case is a great photographic philosophy in my book.

Shammickite said...

I think that's the piece I'm missing.....