Monday, August 03, 2020

Life is a blur

Oops
Knoxville, TN
January 2020
This photo originally shared on Instagram
Behold the accidental photo.

My archives are littered with them, and I don't have the heart to get rid of them because each one tells a story of where we were when it was taken, what we were doing, and even how it might have felt.

This time out, we were in the parking lot of a lovely new hotel in Knoxville, TN. Obviously, this was a "before" photo, before the world changed.

We were on our way back from Florida, starting the second day of a planned two-day drive. The kids were happy. The car bubbled with good-natured grumbling about long drives, lousy weather, and the fact that we were pointed in the wrong direction. Because everyone knows when you're vacationing, you'd rather be headed toward the beach and not away from it.

Road trips, like pretty much everything else in my life, come with their own rituals. Before we set off, I plug the phone in and take pictures of the odometer and GPS screens. The geotagged pictures then become indelible memories of a trip that might otherwise be lost to time.

Somewhere along the way, I accidentally snapped this blurry mess of HVAC controls, hazard button, and a few other things I can't recognize. Once upon a time, I probably would have deleted it outright as I reviewed the photo logs, but I hesitated on this one.

Because more than any other photo I took at 9:19 a.m.-ish on January 4th, 2020, this one puts me right into the driver's seat, and replays the moment in my mind's eye in perfect fidelity.

Powerful stuff from a picture that probably deserves to be round-filed. But I'm glad I didn't. And I'm guessing you probably have some doozers in your own archives - along with infinitely rich stories to accompany them.

If you're so inclined, I'm certain I'm not the only one who would love to learn more about your own accidental photo experiences.

#knoxville #tennessee #tn #road #trip #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #vacation #explore #i75 #tru #hilton #hotel #blurry #stilllife #photography #google #pixel2 #teampixel #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins #family #everything

No comments: