Monday, December 06, 2021

Reflections in (un)forgettable architecture

Evening over Hyde Park
London, ON
December 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


This could very well be the most forgettable building in a city that's filled with them, a concrete-and-glass box stuffed with medical, financial, and legal offices.

I've cycled past this place thousands of times but probably never gave it a second thought.

Except this time I wasn't balancing the laws of physics as I tried to avoid becoming someone's hood ornament. Rather, I was standing in a parking lot across the street, and the setting sun was painting an unreal scene in the usually featureless vertical windows between the drab slabs of concrete.

Mirrored glass can be fun to play with. Who knew?

So I told my ever-understanding wife that I was having another vision, and before I knew it I was reaching for my camera and picking just the right spot on a nearby sidewalk to compose the scene.

It took a couple of minutes to figure out, as I was forced to shoot through four lanes of Christmas-shopping-insanity traffic. But in the end I think I succeeded in seeing a building I'd been ignoring for years in a completely different, eye-opening manner.

The more I look at this photo, though, the more I wonder if this phenomenon can apply to people, as well.

I’m thinking it can. You?

#ldnont #london #hydepark #ontario #canada #architecture #design #architecturephotography #geometry #building #sun #sunset #weather #wx #street #photography #canon #canonphotography #canon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

No comments: