Monday, December 13, 2021

Frozen, a new season

Grab it while you can
London, ON
December 2021
This photo originally shared on Instagram


It’s an early Sunday morning, and the dog and I are walking deep in the river valley woods.

The apocalyptic rains have moved on and the howling winds that have been raking the region for much of the past 24 hours have died down.

The clear, frigid air left in the storm’s wake has coated the soaked, spongy earth along the path with perfectly thin wisps of crystalline ice. Calli is letting her nose explore the icy ground, looking up every once in a while to make sure I’m not missing anything.

I crouch down beside her to get a closer look at this impossibly intricate - and very temporary - scene. The rising sun is already lighting up the forest canopy far above our heads, and it won’t be long before the ground is bathed in sunlight, before this wondrous construction melts into history.

I snag a few fast frames on my smartphone. Because while there’s more than enough ice underfoot in the Great White North, I’m conscious of how unique this particular moment is, and I don’t want to forget what it feels like to be in this particular spot, on this particular morning, with this particularly curious pup.

Because how many of these moments do we really get, anyway? And how do we know if we’re making the most out of the ones we’ve been given?

I can’t answer either of those questions. But at the very least I can try to slow time down and do my best to appreciate what’s been laid out in front of us.

It’ll have to do. Until the next time Mother Nature decides to paint the land with her icy brush.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #medway #valley #forest #water #ice #frozen #winter #walkabout #nature #naturephotography #stilllife #photography #apple #iPhone #iphone11 #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

Related:
Another frozen miracle, February 2021

No comments: