Monday, June 12, 2023

Hotel room faucet fun

Stilllife in transit
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
June 2023
This photo originally shared on Instagram


I have a rather long history of shooting hotel faucet still-life photos.

I’m not entirely sure why, but I think it springs from my general discomfort with being in a strange place. As much as I enjoy new experiences, travel and I don’t always get along.

Maybe it’s an introvert thing, but I often have to work a little harder at grounding myself whenever I’m far from home. So when I first get into a new hotel room, I’ll let my eyes and my mind wander a bit. Then I’ll fetch my camera and try to find something unique about a place that most folks would dismiss outright.

Bathroom faucets seem to work particularly well. The lighting is usually spot-on, and the stark, sharply defined surfaces offer up all sorts of composition potential.

In the end, the photos that I capture aren’t as important as the moments spent capturing them. For a tiny blink of time in a strange place far from home, I find familiar comfort behind the lens.

Because we should all have oases of creativity to fall back into whenever the world feels a little too big. Even if they don’t look like oases at all.

#saultstemarie #ontario #canada #throwback #roadtrip #travel #travelphotography #travelgram #hotel #faucet #stilllife #monochrome #photography #apple #iphone #iphone11 #shotoniphone #instagood #photooftheday #nofilter #nofilterneeded #lifeinthemargins

No comments: