Friday, June 30, 2023

Looking back. Looking forward.

A reflective journey
London, ON
June 2023
This photo originally shared on Instagram


The scene: I’m on my way home from a meandering pedal through the steaming hot city when I decide to stop in the middle of a bridge.

I’ve already been out far longer than I originally planned, but there’s something soul-affirming about watching the river flow far below as the breezes whisper through the superstructure and the decking below vibrates gently as other cyclists and pedestrians wander on past.

It’s a place you feel, something that can’t be replicated in a Zoom call. You just have to get out here and experience it first-hand.

I munch on a granola bar and finish off one of my water bottles to fuel myself for the last push home. Before I push off, I decide to take one last picture into my rear-view mirror.

Part of me likes the angles and the shapes and the shadows, but the shot is especially resonant because it reminds me to look back at where I’ve been, even as the demands of everyday life are pulling me in the opposite direction.

We’re never too busy to pause and reflect about where we’ve been. This is just as true on meandering bike rides as it is anywhere else.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #cycling #bridge #mirror #reflection #shadow #rosspark #tvp #wildlifephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #apple #iphone #shotoniphone #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

No comments: