Tuesday, September 05, 2023

Sticking around for the final show

Splatters of paint
London, ON
August 2023
This photo originally shared on Instagram

This shouldn’t be happening. The clouds have almost covered the sky, and the barely-visible Sun slipped below the barely-visible horizon a while ago.

But for reasons I don’t quite understand, I stick around. “Just in case,” I tell myself, hoping against hope that something - or anything - fun might happen if I just hang around long enough.

The spontaneous soccer game in the nearby park wraps up, and the parents in the playground gather their kids in the fading light and usher them home. Still, I stand alone and watch the darkening mess above me. Again, I think to myself, I’ve wasted my time.

Eventually, the sky cooperates with one last burst of color and light and fire, a defiant last blast for a day whose ending no one seemed inclined to remember. It’s there for barely a few seconds before the night swallows it for good.

As I tuck the camera away and slowly head for home, I think not only about what I’ve just seen, but the how of it all. How I stood in one place while everyone else drifted off. How I waited until long after logic would have - should have - called it a day.

Most of the time, moments like this end up in a deep grey mess of muddy light. Sometimes, though, we get lucky. Sometimes patience pays off. Sometimes we just have to stick it out and let the universe touch us one last time before we sleep.

#ldnont #london #ontario #canada #sun #sunset #sky #tree #trees #cloud #clouds #cloudspotting #weather #wx #jaycee #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #photography #nikon #nikonphotography #nikon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded

Related:

No comments: