Thursday, February 29, 2024

Winter in Dryden

Where Wilson Street ends
Dryden, ON
January 2023
This photo originally shared on Instagram


Winter just loves to play games with light and colour.

After the snow has fallen, or the ice has frozen, or both, it’s common for the colour palette to shift from vibrant to near-monochrome. Things that might have appeared overly saturated before the storm now feel like they’ve been run through a beloved old roll of Kodak TRI-X.

It’s a show that never gets old, and something to look forward to at a time when we might otherwise want to curse the cold.

So I’ll be the weirdo who after the storm ebbs will don a giant parka, even larger-scale boots, and enough layers of woolies to guarantee me permanent resident status in Greenland. I’ll grab a camera and head out into the near-black-and-white wonderland.

When I get there, I may find some colour hiding in unexpected places. I’ll see shapes and textures that will only exist in this form for as long as the temperature remains below zero. I’ll feel something I wouldn’t be able to feel without the wintry blanket covering almost everything in sight.

I don’t love winter. I suspect most Canadians don’t, and I’m certain the ones who say they do are probably lying. It’s a hard, uncomfortable, even dangerous slog.

But there are enough reasons to love this place, enough good reasons to stay right here. Because the good of Canada far outweighs the weathery bad.

I can’t change the weather, anyway. But I can absolutely change how I choose to see it.

It’s stunningly beautiful. It figuratively and literally takes our breath away. And it’s strictly temporary.

So we enjoy it while we can.

#dryden #ontario #canada #throwback #nature #naturephotography #landscape #landscapephotography #frozen #winter #weather #wx #onstorm #photography #canon #canonphotography #canon_photography #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #nofilterneeded


No comments: